Electronic data capture (EDC) in clinical trials
Design paper and electronic case report forms (CRF), capture data and export to an electronic data capture system (EDC).
In 1960, the time taken to bring a new drug to market was three years. At the start of the new millennium, the figure had risen to 12 years. Today, it takes between 15-20 years while the cost per new drug produced is estimated to have grown at an annual rate of 13.4% since the 1950’s (Source: University of Birmingham, writing in the BMJ Open Journal, 2013).
Clinical trials are the longest and most expensive component of the drug development process with a three phase trial involving hundreds to thousands of people and costing millions. Some of the cost is linked to data collection in clinical trials and it is widely acknowledged that clinical development remains largely a paper driven process.
With trial managers under pressure to effectively manage costs to ensure their budgets and timelines are controlled, this is one area where efficiencies can be created.
At ePC, we specialise in electronic and paper based solutions for automated capture from paper, fax and electronic trials, patient follow-up, CRF and survey forms.
We enable clinical trials organisations - including a number registered with the UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) - to process high volumes of paper and online forms more effectively at a time when the number of participants taking part in clinical research in England is increasing with more than 618,000 people involved in 2014/15 (Source: NIHR Clinical Research Network / Department of Health).
Our clinical trial database software reads handwritten forms via a scanner and/or fax server to extract data, record marked diagrams, spot mistakes and validates the data before automatically exporting the results into your existing databases.
- Accelerate all phases of the drug discovery process
- Reduce costs of drug discovery and clinical trials
- Enforce a completely 21 CFR Part 11, Medicines Act (1968), GCP and GMP compliant process
- Reduce CAPA processing time by over 80%
- Minmise staff costs and time spent processing forms
- Eliminate mistakes, improve accuracy and reduce time spent retrieving paper copies
How it works
- Create your clinical trial forms with TeleForm Designer
- Capture clinical trial data capture from paper, fax, PDF or eMail
- Ensure accuracy of clinical trials data and highlight issues for clarification in TeleForm Verifier
- Export clinical trials data and integrate with your preferred database, application or clinical trial management software
- Archive and retrieve trials data securely and conveniently for total accountability
If you want to find out more about electronic data capture in clinical trials, please contact us.